Gravity Aluminium Die Casting Design
Gravity Die Design is probably the most overlooked skill that can turn a profitable job into a huge loss. It is not just creating a metal mold to slop aluminium into, it is an art form.
Things to consider when designing a die:-
- Where do the risers need to be to eliminate porosity?
- Where and how to run the casting to avoid turbulence?
- Is it more cost effective to put inserts in? The answer is NO, dies with inserts usually have a life span reduced by up to 60%
- How many moving die sides, which way to move and how to move them? i.e. manually operated/automated?
- How easily can the die be stripped down for cleaning, what to clean it with?
- Does the die need its own rig/shared rig?
- What material will the die be made from?
These are but a few of the considerations to take into account when designing a Gravity Die. These skills take decades to acquire and accounts for a great many poorly designed dies around the world. The author can verify this through his own experience over many years